After studying this chapter the students will be able to,
• Define gene, genome, genetic code, genotype, phenotype, mutagen, wildtype.
• Describe transcription and translation.
• Classify mutations and its types and Understand how mutants are formed.
• Know the mode of action of physical and chemical mutagens.
• Identify the purpose of and outline the procedure for Ames test.
• Compare the gene transfer mechanisms.
• Know the types of cloning vectors used in genetic engineering.
• Describe how plasmids and bacteriophages are used to transfer foreign DNA.
• Explain the role of restriction enzymes in recombinant DNA technology.
• Know the types of restriction enzymes.
• Understand agarose gel electrophoresis and PCR techniques.
• Explain RAPD and RFLP.
1. Concept of Gene
3. Genetic Code
5. Types of Mutation
6. Formation of Mutants
7. Transfer of Genetic Material
8. Recombinant DNA Technology
9. Vectors – Types and Characteristics
10. Restriction Enzymes
11. Techniques in Genetic Engineering