Electronic Marketing or E-Marketing is the process
of marketing of products and services over internet and telecommunication
networks. In simple terms, marketing strategies and techniques which are
utilised to access target customers through online mode are referred to
E-marketing. E-marketing includes use of internet for all the activities of
advertising, promotion publicity, channel of distribution, marketing research
to find out customers’ needs and wants. Electronic marketing is interchangeably
used to mean online marketing, web marketing, internet marketing and digital
According to Judy Strauss, “E-marketing refers to
application of broad range of information technology for creating more customer
value through more effective segmentation, targeting, differentiation and
positioning strategies, planning more efficiently and executing the conception,
distribution, promotion and pricing of goods, services and ideas; and creating
exchanges that satisfy individual consumer and organization's consumer
“E-Marketing is achieving marketing objectives
through use of digital technologies like Internet, word wide web, email,
wireless media, and management of digital customer data and electronic customer
management systems (E-CRM)”
The following are the objectives of E-Marketing
1. Expansion of market share
2. Reduction of distribution and promotional
3. Achieving higher brand awareness.
4. Strengthening database.
1. Any Time market: E - Marketing provides 24 hours
and 7 days “24/7” service to its users. So consumer can shop or order the
product anytime from anywhere.
2. Direct contact of end consumer by the manufacturers
cuts down the substantially intermediation cost. Thus products bought through
e-marketing become cheaper.
3. Customer can buy whatever they want/ need just
by browsing the various sites.
1. High Cost for E- marketing which requires a
strong online advertising campaign a for which company has to spend large
amount. The cost of web site design, software, hardware, maintenance of
business site, online distribution costs and invested time, all must be
factored into the cost of providing service or product online.
2. It is not suitable for small size business and
also deters customers from buying who lives on long distances.
3. While the number of customers are continuously
growing, companies hardly update the information on website.
4. Many buyers are suspicious about the security of
the internet. As a result, many visitors of business web sites, do not like to
use their credit card to make a purchase. So there is a fear of their cards
being misused by fraudulent practitioners.
• It is very economical and faster way to promote
• It is quiet easier for promoting product globally
in the short time.
• E-Business enterprises can expand their operation
with minimum manpower.
• In this marketing product can be sold or bought 24 x 7, round the year with minimum manpower
• It is very expensive and takes more time to
• It is very expensive and time consuming to
promote product/ service under traditional marketing.
• It needs more man power.
• That is not possible in traditional marketing.