Controlling Water Pollution
Water is precious and it is essential for all living organisms. But today almost every water body is polluted with waste ranging from plastics to toxic substances. All of us can take immediate steps to save our precious water bodies from pollution. Some simple ideas to avoid water pollution are given below:
* Use detergents that are biodegradable and avoid those that contain toxic chemicals.
* Wear clothing that is made from natural fibres such as cotton and avoid wearing synthetic fibres such as nylon, polyester etc.
* Do not throw waste such as plastics into water bodies. Always separate your waste into recyclable, non-recyclable and biodegradable so that it does not cause pollution.
* Domestic waste water should be treated properly, and all harmful substances should be removed from it, so it can be reused for flushing toilets and gardening.
* Use bio-pesticides (natural pest control) instead of chemical pest control.
* Use compost made from cow dung, garden waste and kitchen waste as a fertiliser.
*Water released from industries should be treated before being discharged or recycled for industrial purpose.