Applications of Adsorption
The phenomenon of adsorption finds many applications, some of which are given below:
1. Activated charcoal is used in gas masks in which toxic gases are adsorbed and air passes through it.
2. Silica gel packed in small cloth bags is used for adsorbing moisture in bottles of medicine and in small electronic instruments.
3. Animal charcoal is used for decolourizing many compounds during their manufacture.
4. In chromatography, the selective adsorption of different solutes on the surface of solid adsorbent helps in their separation.
5. Mordants are used during dyeing process with certain dyes. In such cases, the mordants fix the dye on the fabric by adsorption.