· Major depression is one of the affective disorders, and is perhaps the commonest mental illness worldwide. It is char-acterised by feelings of intense sadness and despair, slowing of thought process, impaired concentration, constant worry, agitation, and self-deprecation.
· Norepinephrine (or noradrenaline) reuptake inhibitors
Tertiary amine tricyclics: amitryptiline, clomipramine,doxepin, imipramine, trimipramine.
Secondary amine tricyclics: amoxapine,* desipramine,maprotiline,* nortriptyline, protriptyline.
· Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors Citalopram, duloxetine, fluoxetine, fluvoxamine, milnacipran, oxaflozane, paroxetine, pizotifen, sertraline, venlafaxine.
· Monoamine oxidase inhibitors Isocarboxacid, iproniazid, moclobemide, pargyline, phen-elzine, pimozide, selegiline, toloxatone, tranylcypromine.
· Atypical antidepressants Bupropion, mirtazepine, nefazodone, trazodone.
· The toxicity of the important antidepressants among these groups will be discussed in the following sections.
Copyright © 2018-2021 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. (BS) Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.