· Good muscle tone is maintained during labour and postnatal period.
· Helps to reduce the backache.
· Assist in effective pushing during labour.
• Deep breathing exercise.
Breathing techniques is for pain relief during labour. Exhale before inhale is suggested.
• Abdominal breathing
• Lower coastal breathing
• Apical breathing
Sit on a chair with your back against the seat back. Breathe normally, tightens the abdomen and then press the pelvis downwards to flattens your low back against the seat back. Hold for 5 seconds and relax.
Kegels exercise is a special exercise squeeze the pubococcygeal muscle or 3 seconds relax for 3 seconds and squeeze again. It can be done 100 times twice daily for keeping the vagina toned and increase the strength of perineum to avoid birth injuries.
Sit on chair with your back against seat back.
Tightens the vaginal, urethral and anal muscles as if trying to withhold urination or defecation. Should do this exercise in a standing position.
• This exercise enhance the flexibility and strength of inner thighs and pelvic muscles. It helps to accustoms to the delivery position and prevent thigh spasm during delivery.
• Sit on table, low chair against a wall and spread your thighs sideways. Hold for 5 seconds and relax.
• Sit on chair with your back against your seatback with one ankle and turn foot upwards and downwards. Each up and down is as one time, repeat 10 times.
• Repeat the ankle to draw inward and outward circle circular movement counted as one time.
• Repeat the same step at the other ankle.
• Ankle exercise helps to reduce leg swelling and varicose vein thus alleviating the problems of leg cramps.
• Activities that require extensive jumping, hopping, skipping, bouncing.
• Double leg raises, deep knee bends.
• Trunk rotation while standing.
• Exercises in hot and humid weather.
• Bouncing while stretching.
• Avoid over the counter medications
• Inj. T.T. (Tetanus Toxoid) For preventing maternal and neonatal tetanus
Dosage schedule: Two doses 0.5 ml I/M in upper arm
First dose - As soon as woman registers for
Second dose - 4 weeks after the first dose even if it is after delivery
Inform that there may be slight swelling,
stiffness or pain at the injection site Iron and folic acid supplementation
1 tablet / of IFA (100 mg elemental iron+0.5 mg of folic acid)
Duration: At least 100 days during pregnancy
Continue for 3-6 months in postpartum period
Folic acid supplementation (400 µg) upto 12 weeks of pregnancy to prevent Neural tube defects
• Regular consumption of iodized salt
• Calcium supplementation (500mg-1g / day)
Hazards affect the normal functions of the mother and unborn baby’s body.
They can cause birth defects in the unborn child. Hazards include physical factors, germs, tobacco, alcohol, health conditions of the mother, chemicals, and drugs.
• Vaginal bleeding Persistent vomiting
• Chills and fever
• Sudden escape of clear fluid from vagina Abdominal or chest pain
• Increase or decrease in fetal movement
The nurse must educate the women that if above symptoms are present they must come to the hospital immediately.
• Morning sickness
• Varicose veins
• Vaginal discharge
These symptoms are common during pregnancy. There is no need for any special treatment, it will subside. But any of the above symptoms interferes in normal routine life then they need to contact the care provider.
Advice the antenatal mother in the above components to follow up till the next visit to the hospital.
During the last few months of pregnancy the mother will be taught about the following
• Recognizing signs of true versus false labor
• When to go to the hospital
• Approaches to pain control
• Things to bring for labor and after
• Planning for children at home
• Care of the newborn