![if !IE]> <![endif]>
THE BEGINNING OF THE MODERN AGE
V. Answer the following briefly
1. Explain how the invention of printing press influenced Renaissance, Reformation and Geographical discoveries.
The influence of the printing press on renaissance,
Reformantion and geographical Discoveries :
• Johannes Gutenberg invented the Printing Press in Germany in the middle of the 15th Century. This invention accelerated the process of Modernisation.
• Many Scholors in Italy went in search of Manuscripts of classical Greek and Latin Literature. Later they Printed. This provided stimulus to the followering or Renaissance.
• The Reformeras issued Pamphlets and Published books highlighting the abuses of the Catholic Church Martin Luther's "Ninety Five Theses" were printed and circulated widely.
• A Copy of ptolemy's ‘Geography brought from the Byzantine Empire to the west. Thanks to the printing press, Multiple copies were made and circulated widely. It greatly increased the knowledge of Geographical discoveries (the sea router).
2. Write a short note on the impact of Renaissance.
The Impact of Renaissance
• The most important contribution of Renaissance was the idea of 'humanism' It marked a definite shift towards individualism, Secularism an nationalism.
• Enriched the growth of vernacular languages. Provided the intellectual basis for the rise of nation - states.
• Criticized the corrupt and worldly practices of the church. Encouraged the reformation Movement.
• Renaissance led to discovery of new land routes, remapping of the world and new inventions in science.
3. Outline the differences of Martin Luther with the Catholic Church, the differences of Martin Luther
• Luther rejected the belief that ceremonies and penances would lead to salvation. He put forward the doctrine of "Justification by Faith".
• The Grace of god would be bestowed by the divine will alone and not by the deeds of the people.
• The Bible could be read and interpreted by all and not by the church alone.
• The rejected the role of the church as an intermediary between the individual and God.
4. Write a brief note on Counter Reformation.
• In order to meet the challange that the protestant reformation posed a threat to the catholic church, Pope Paul III and his successors introduced a member of rigorous reforms in the church. This is known as "Counter Reformation".
• They dealt with corruption severely and stopped the sale of offices.
• The Council of Trente re-emphasized the importance of ceremonies and the significance of the 'Mass'
• It pronounced that only the church could interpret the scriptures.
• It revitalized the Inquistion to deal with opposition to the church.
• It also gave official sanction to the society of Jesus.
5. What is Columbian Exchange?
The reason for the movement of plants, animals, technology, culture and strange diseases between the Americas and Europe was the conquest of Americas by the European colonial Powers. This is known as "Columbian Exchange".
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.