Social Science : History : Ancient Civilisations
V. Answer the following briefly
1. The Egyptians excelled in art and architecture. Illustrate.
• The Pyramids, tombs of mourning to the Pharaohs, are considered to be one of the wonders of the world. Ex. Giza Pyramids near Cairo.
• The Pyramids display the engineering, architectural and human resource management skills of the Egyptians.
• 73 metres long and 20 meters high massive line stone image of a lion with a human head is sphinx. It is one of the largest sculptures of the world.
2. State the salient features of the Ziggurats.
• In sumerian civilization (Mesopotamia) temples appeared like steep Pyramids at the city centre were called 'Ziggurate’. There were staircases leading to the top.
• Around the this ziggurot were complexes of ceremonial courtyards, shrines, burial chambers, banquet halls, workshops, gramaries store houses, administrative buildings and burial chambers. (The most famous Ziggurat is in the city of Ur.)
3. Hammurabi Code is an important legal document. Explain.
• It is an important legal document having 282 criminal provisions specifying cases related to sumerian family rights, trade, slavery, taxes an wages.
• This code was a compilation of old laws. "The eye for an eye" and " a tooth for a tooth" form of justice, based on retributive principles.