![if !IE]> <![endif]>
IV. Answer in brief
1 What is a map?
• A Map is the basic tool of a geographer. It is a Location guide.
• It illustrates the earth's surface clearly and effectively through a combination of drawings, words and symbols.
2. What are the components of a map?
The Components of a map :
• Grid system
• Conventional and signs and Symbols
3. The distance between two cities A and B is 5 km. It is represented by a line of 5 cm on the map. Calculate the distance and give the answer in RF.
Distance on the map = 5 cm
Distance on the ground = 5 km
Representative Fraction (R.F) = Distance on the Map / Distance on the Ground
R.F = 5cm / 5km
= 5 cm / 500000 cm = 1 / 100000
So R.F = 1:100000
4. Mention a few surveying instruments.
Chain, Prismatic compass, Plane table, Dumpy level, Abney level, Clinometre, Theodolite, Total Station and GNSS to measure the distance, angle, altitude and position of the area of survey.
5- Define Remote sensing.
Remote Sensing :
• Remote Sensing refers to the observation and measurement of earthly objects without touching them.
• 'Remote' means far away and 'Sensing' means observing or collecting information. Remote sensing means acquiring information of things/places from a distance, using a variety of tools and methods.
6. What are the components of remote sensing?
Components of remote sensing:
• Energy Source
• Transmission path
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.