Sustainable development is concerned with the welfare of not only present generation but also future generation. It aims at not only satisfying the luxury wants of the upper class i.e. rich but also the basic necessities of the poor like food, sanitation, health care, education etc. The present generation should not exhaust the resources left by the past generation, but it should leave the same for the sake of future generation. This is called inter – generational equity.
“Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs” -World Commission on Environment and Development, 1987-
“The alternative approach (to sustainable development) is to focus on natural capital assets and suggest that they should not decline through time.” -Pearce, Markandya and Barbier, 1989-
It is crucial to harmonize three core elements such as economic growth, social inclusion and environmental protection. A set of 17 goals for the World’s future can be achieved before 2030 with three unanimous principles fixed by United Nations such as Universality, Integration and Transformation.
1. End Poverty in all its forms everywhere
2. End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
3. Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
4. Ensure inclusive and quality education for all and promote lifelong learning
5. Achieve gender equality and empower women and girls
6. Ensure access to water and sanitation for all
7. Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
8. Promote inclusive and sustainable economic growth, employment and decent work for all
9. Build resilient infrastructure, promote sustainable industrialization and foster innovation.
10. Reduce inequality within and among countries
11. Make cities inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
12. Ensure sustainable consumption and production pattern
13. Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
14. Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources
15. Sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, halt biodiversity loss
16. Promote just, peaceful and inclusive societies
17. Revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
Copyright © 2018-2021 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. (BS) Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.