Freedom Struggle in Tamil Nadu
• Contributions of Madras Native Association, Madras Mahajana Sabha and the nationalist press to the growth of nationalism in Tamil Nadu are discussed.
• Swadeshi phase of the Indian National Movement in Tamil Nadu, with focus on role played by V.O.C., Subramania Siva, Subramania Bharathi, is detailed.
• Non-cooperation Movement, E.V.R.’s differences with the Congress,the birth of Swaraj Party at the national level and the Self-Respect Movement in the Tamil region are examined.
• Tamil Nadu’s participation in the Civil Disobedience Movement organised to protest the disappointment over Simon Commission and the Round Table Conferences are dealt with.
• The elections under Government of India Act, 1935 and the formation of first Congress Ministry in Madras under Rajaji are outlined.
hegemony: leadership or dominance, especially by one state or social group over others மேலாதிக்கம்
obnoxious: extremely unpleasant விரும்பத்தகாத, வெறுக்கப்படுகிற
consensus: a general agreement கருதது ஒருமைப்பாடு, முழு இசைவு
hypocrisy: insincerity/two-facedness, dishonesty, lip service பாசாங்கு
seditious: inciting or causing people to rebel against the authority of a state or monarch ஆட்சிககு எதிரான
demonstration: a protest meeting or march against something ஆர்ப்பாட்ட நிககழ்ச்சி
picket: a blockade of a workplace or other venue மறியல்
boycott: refuse to cooperate with or participate in புறக்கணி
brutal: savagely violent கொடுமைமிக்க, இரக்கமற்ற
patriotic: having devotion to and vigorous support for one’s own country நாட்டுப்பறறு
repression: action of subduing someone or something with force அடக்குமுறை