V. Answer the questions briefly
1. List out the contribution of
• The moderates conducted hail meetings and they discussed the
problems of the country in English.
• They conducted mass public meetings and used vernacular
languages to address the larger public.
2. Write a note on the
• V.O.C. and Subramania Siva organised public meetings to
celebrate the release of Bipin. So they were arrested and sentenced to rigorous
• The arrest of these leaders sparked riots in Tirunelvely.
• Police station, court
building and municipal office were burnt.
• The police shot dead four people.
• The leaders were arrested.
3. What is the contribution of
Annie Besant to India's freedom struggle?
• Annie Besant started
Home Rule League in 1916 and carried forward the demand for Home rule all
• She and her supporters demanded Home rule with only a nominal
allegiance to British Crown.
• She started the newspaper New
India and Commonweal to carry forward her agenda.
• She wrote two books "How
India wrought for freedom" and "India:
• People were drawn into the stream of freedom struggle.