![if !IE]> <![endif]>
LIST DOWN THE FACTORS TO BE CONSIDERED FOR SELECTION OF SITE FOR THERMAL POWER PLANT:
Availability of coal:
• A thermal plant of 400M, capacity requires nearly 6000 tons of coal every day.
• Power plant should be located near coal mines.
Ash Disposal Facilities:
• Ash comes out in hot condition and handling is difficult.
The ash can be disposed into sea or river.
Water Availability :
• Water consumption is more as feed water into boiler, condenser and for ash disposal.
• Water is required for drinking purpose.
• Hence plant should be located near water source.
Transport Facility :
• The plant should be far away from residential area to avoid nuisance from smoke, fly ash and noise.
Nature of Land :
• Many power plants have failed due to weak foundations.
• Land (soil) should have good bearing capacity to withstand dead load of plant.
Thermal power plants in T.N: Neyveli
Tuticorin Ennore Mettur
Explain about the pollution caused by Thermal Power Plant (Steam Power Plant):
• Main pollutants from thermal plants are SO2, CO2, CO as minute particles such as fly ash.
• SO2 causes suffocation, irritation to throat and eyes and respiratory for people. It destroys crop.
• CO is a poisonous gas.
• Dust particles cause respiratory troubles like cough, cold, sneezing etc.,
• Thermal plants produce 40 million kJ of heat to the environment through condenser water and exhaust gases.
• Thermal pollution of atmosphere can be reduced using the low grade energy exhausted steam.
• The sources of noise in a power plant are turbo alternators, fans and power transformers.
• Sound proofing can be done to reduce the noise.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.