Hobby Turns into a Successful Career
Read and Understand
A. Fill in the blanks.
1. Mani's grandfather noticed it and helped him by reading bedtime stories.
2. Ajay mastered the techniques of Preparing colours and brushes.
3. Ilavazhagi won her first match against her father.
B. Choose correct synonyms for the italic word.
1. Writing is a unique hobby
[(c) uncommon ]
2. Ajay started to paint happily.
3. Miniature paintings depict Indian culture.
C. Choose correct antonyms for the italic word.
1. Ajay suffered an injury.
[Answer: (b) endure]
2. Ajay mastered the techniques of painting.
3. Ilavazhagi won world championship in 2008.
[Answer: (c) defeat]
D. Answer the following questions in one or two sentences.
1. What happened to Ajay at the age of three?
Answer: Ajay suffered an
injury at the age of three. He was treated, but that treatment left him
2. What did Asha Devi teach Ajay?
Answer: Asha Devi taught Ajay
the old and dying technique of ‘Traditional Indian Miniature Painting’.
3. Why writing is beneficial according to Mani?
Answer: According to Mani, writing opens his mind to think beyond the little things with a broader mind. It makes him more passionate about his life, and learn new things.
E. Answer the following questions in 100 words.
1. How did Ajay’s father find his son’s talent?
Answer: Ajay Kumar Garg’s childhood was going well, until he suffered an injury at the age of three. Ajay was treated, but that treatment left him permanently deaf. His parents tried many hospitals to cure his disability but it was useless. One day, his father bought him a paint set to play. Ajay started painting happily on the walls and floors. He looked happy, while using the paint set. Soon Ajay father realised that Ajay was talented in painting. When Ajay was five years, a court artist of Dholpur, Shri Sua Lal was impressed with Ajay’s work. He took Ajay with him and started training him.
2. Write a note on Ilavazhagi.
Answer: Ilavazhagi was one among the many to achieve their dream amidst all odds. Her father was a district-level champion in carom. He used to put her on the Carom board to listen to the sound of strikers and coins. Her father took her to the local clubs frequently. When llavazhagi won her first match against her father, she gained confidence. This confidence led her to win the Asia Cup, SAARC Cup and the world championship. She won a lot of trophies. She won the 2008 Indian National Carom Championship and became a world champion in the women’s singles. Her passion for Carom made her succeed in life.