Hobby Turns into a Successful Career
Read and Understand
A. Say true or false.
1. Mani's hobby is playing cricket. [Answer: False]
2. Hobbies are unique to people. [Answer: True]
3. People have hobbies only to pass time. [Answer: False]
B. Choose the correct answer.
1. Mani imagined a world with .
a) music and musicians
b) building and sculptures
c) magic and magicians
[Answer: (c) magic and magicians]
2. When Mani started writing things, he was unable to .
a) describe them accurately
b) describe them fluently
c) describe them imaginatively
[Answer: (a) describe them accurately]
3. Mani feels writing is like ___________.
a) painting the voice
b) engraving the voice
c) designing the voice
[Answer: (a) painting the voice]
Read and Understand
A. Write true or false.
1. Ajay Garg is an artist. [Answer: True]
2. Asha Devi taught Ajay the miniature painting. [Answer: True]
3. Ajay displayed 150 paintings. [Answer: True]
4. Ajay was awarded by the Indian president Dr. A.P.J.Abdul Kalam. [Answer: True]
B. Answer the following questions.
1. What was Ajay gifted with?
Answer: Ajay was gifted with a skill of painting.
2. How was he honoured?
Answer: He was honoured by the Indian President Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam with a national award of accomplishment.
3. What is Ajay's current goal?
Answer: Ajay current goal was to re-energies the dying art of traditional Miniature Indian paintings.
4. Does Ajay's hobby become a successful career? How?
Answer: Yes, Ajay’s hobby has become a successful career because his work became popular all throughout India, the United States and the United Kingdom. He has also become the executive member of the ‘Deaf and Dumb’ Association in Rajasthan.
Read and Understand
A. Fill in the blanks.
1. Mani's grandfather noticed it and helped him by reading bedtime stories.
2. Ajay mastered the techniques of Preparing colours and brushes.
3. Ilavazhagi won her first match against her father.
B. Choose correct synonyms for the italic word.
1. Writing is a unique hobby
[(c) uncommon ]
2. Ajay started to paint happily.
3. Miniature paintings depict Indian culture.
C. Choose correct antonyms for the italic word.
1. Ajay suffered an injury.
[Answer: (b) endure]
2. Ajay mastered the techniques of painting.
[Answer: (c) unskilled]
3. Ilavazhagi won world championship in 2008.
[Answer: (c) defeat]
D. Answer the following questions in one or two sentences.
1. What happened to Ajay at the age of three?
Answer: Ajay suffered an injury at the age of three. He was treated, but that treatment left him permanently deaf.
2. What did Asha Devi teach Ajay?
Answer: Asha Devi taught Ajay the old and dying technique of ‘Traditional Indian Miniature Painting’.
3. Why writing is beneficial according to Mani?
Answer: According to Mani, writing opens his mind to think beyond the little things with a broader mind. It makes him more passionate about his life, and learn new things.
E. Answer the following questions in 100 words.
1. How did Ajay’s father find his son’s talent?
Answer: Ajay Kumar Garg’s childhood was going well, until he suffered an injury at the age of three. Ajay was treated, but that treatment left him permanently deaf. His parents tried many hospitals to cure his disability but it was useless. One day, his father bought him a paint set to play. Ajay started painting happily on the walls and floors. He looked happy, while using the paint set. Soon Ajay father realised that Ajay was talented in painting. When Ajay was five years, a court artist of Dholpur, Shri Sua Lal was impressed with Ajay’s work. He took Ajay with him and started training him.
2. Write a note on Ilavazhagi.
Answer: Ilavazhagi was one among the many to achieve their dream amidst all odds. Her father was a district-level champion in carom. He used to put her on the Carom board to listen to the sound of strikers and coins. Her father took her to the local clubs frequently. When llavazhagi won her first match against her father, she gained confidence. This confidence led her to win the Asia Cup, SAARC Cup and the world championship. She won a lot of trophies. She won the 2008 Indian National Carom Championship and became a world champion in the women’s singles. Her passion for Carom made her succeed in life.United Kingdom. He has also become the executive member of the ‘Deaf and Dumb’ Association in Rajasthan.
Very Short Questions with Answers.
1. What is a hobby?
Answer: Hobby is an activity we enjoy doing in our free time.
2. What is your hobby?
Answer: My hobbies are Reading and Singing.
3. What does the term ‘pastime’ mean?
Answer: The term ‘pastime’ means, an activity regularly done for enjoying rather than work. To pass the leisure time relaxingly.
4. Who is the best friend for a reader while travelling in a train?
Answer: Books are the best friends for a reader while travelling alone in a train.
5. Name any two socially useful hobbies.
Answer: Cooking and Painting.
Short Questions with Answers.
1. What was Mani’s problem?
Answer: Mani had difficulty in reading and writing.
2. What did his Grandfather do?
Answer: His grandfather helped him by reading bedtime stories.
3. Why does Mani say that writing is a unique hobby?
Answer: Mani says that writing is unique because most people don’t want to exhaust themselves in their spare time.
4. What did Ajay’s father buy him?
Answer: Ajay’s father bought him a paint set to play.
5. What was Ajay gifted with?
Answer: Ajay was gifted with the practice of creating images on a grain of rice.
6. Who was Irudayaraj?
Answer: Irudayaraj was a fish-cart driver, who used to transport materials like pipes to make a living.
7. Who did Ilavazhagi beat in the women’s singles?
Answer: Ilavazhagi beat P. Nirmala in the finals of Carom World Championship with 25-11, 25-11 victory.
Paragraph Question with Answer.
1. How beneficial was the hobby of writing to Mani?
Answer: Mani felt the hobby of writing very beneficial to him. He felt writing is like ‘painting his voice’. When he got free time, he picked a pen and a notebook. He started writing stories, poems and sometimes about his feelings. His mind used to relax, when he poured his thoughts as words. His imagination is at its best, when he writes things. Writing opened his mind to think beyond the little things with a broader mind. It made him more passionate about his life and learn new things. It also helped him in school too and made him a good writer.