Properties of Light
1) Light is a transverse electromagnetic wave.
2) It consists of oscillating electric and magnetic fields that are perpendicular to each other and perpendicular to the direction of propagation of the light.
3) Light moves at a speed of 3 Ă— 108 msâ€“1
4) Wavelength is the distance between successive crests of the wave.
5) Light as a particle is called photon. Each photon contains an amount of energy known as quantum.
6) The energy of a photon depends on the frequency of the light (Figure 13. 6).