POINTS TO REMEMBER
* Cells are the basic structural and functional units of all living organisms.
* Cells are microscopic and can be seen only under a microscope.
* Cell membranes are selectively permeable, which means they only allow certain substances to pass in and out of the cell.
* Plant cells have a cell wall around the cell membrane that is rigid and provides support and protection to the cell content.
* The Cytoplasm includes the organelles and the cytosol. The Cytosol is the jelly-like medium, in which many chemical reactions take cell. Everything inside the cell membrane, except the nucleus, is considered to be the cytoplasm.
* Mitochondria are responsible for cellular respiration, which releases the energy from the food.
* Plants have chloroplasts with chlorophyll pigments to produce food by photosynthesis.
* Stem cells are cells that have the ability to divide and develop into many different types of the cell.
* A group of different tissues makes up an organ.
* Organs working together in groups form a systems or organ systems.
* Organ systems make up an organism, such as a human.