Breeding and Biotechnology (Science)
Points to Remember
· Crop improvement is the development of improved crop varieties possesing higher yield, better quality, resistance to diseases and shorter duration.
· When breeding takes place between animals of the same breed, it is called inbreeding.The cross between different breeds is called outbreeding.
· The superiority of the hybrid obtained by cross breeding is called as heterosis or hybrid vigour.
· Genetic engineering is the manipulation and transfer of genes from one organism to another organism.
· Stem cells are undifferentiated or unspecialised mass of cells and can be used for the treatment known as stem cell therapy.