Points to Remember
• Adolescence is the period of reproductive maturity which lies usually between the ages of 11 to 19 years.
• Voice of boys becomes harsh as chords of voice box get loosened and thickened during adolescence.
• Hormones are the secretions of endocrine glands without ducts which secrete them directly into the bloodstream.
• Testosterone is the male hormone and estrogen is the female hormone that bring about development of several secondary sex characters.
• The uterine wall in female prepares itself to receive the developing fertilized eggs. In case there is no fertilization, the thickened lining of the uterus wall breaks down and goes out of the body along with the blood. This is called menstruation.
• It is important to take balanced diet for the overall growth and development during adolescence.
1. Adam’s Apple The protruding part of the throat.
2. Adolescence The period of transition from childhood to adulthood.
3. Gland Group of cells which secrete hormones.
4. Hormones The chemical substances secreted in the body.
5. Menarche The first menstrual flow at puberty.
6. Menopause The stoppage of menstruation.
7. Menstruation Bleeding in the reproductive tract of women.
8. Ovulation The release of ovum from the ovary.
9. Primary sex characters The characters which refer to changes in sex organs.
10. Puberty The period at which an organism attains sexual maturity.
11. Secondary sex characters The characters which help to distinguish the male from the female.
1. Animal physiology Verma P.S and Agarwal, V.K. and Tyagi B. S. S.Chand and Company, New Delhi.
2. Text book of Human Physiology. Saradha Subrahmanyam K., Madhavankutty K. and Singh H.D
3. Animal Physiology. Foundations of Modern biology series. Knut Schmidt and Nielsen.
4. K. Chinthanaiyalan (2013) . Psychological effects of puberty and growth spurt in adolescents. GCTE Journal of Research and Extension in Education.Vol. 8 (2) . 5 – 10.
5. Rastogi S.C. Essentials of Animal Physiology – Third Edition 2001.
2. ht t p s : / / w w w. b o l d s k y. c o m / h e a l t h / w e l l n e s s / 2 0 1 8 / w o r l d - m e n s t r u a l - hygiene-day-9-basic-menstrual-hygiene-tips-122728.html
3. ht t p s : / / w w w. b o l d s k y. c o m / h e a l t h /wellness/2018/world
Through this activity you will learn about the age of adolescents.
Step 1 Open the Browser and type the URL given below
Step 2 You will see the pop up screen. You will see the video links of hormones, menstrual cycle etc. ..
Step 3 Click the Hormones video link. You will see the video.
Step 4 Likewise, you can see all the videos by clicking the links
Browse in the link:
*Pictures are indicatives only.
*If browser requires, allow Flash Player or Java Script to load the page.