![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Special educational needs
20% of children have special educational needs at some time.
Only 2% have a statement of special educational needs.
The Disability Discrimination Act 1995 and amendments legislate for no discriminate against people with disabilities. Schools implemented this Act in 2002. The Special Educational Needs and Disability Act 2001 requires:
• Promotion of the inclusion of such pupils in mainstream schools.
• A graduated response to assessment and help.
• Advice from other professionals including health and education before statutory assessment.
The assessment under the Education Act includes advice from:
• Parents and child
• Health: a community pediatrician—‘designated medical officer for education’; collates all medical and therapy advice
• Education and educational psychology
• Social services
A provisional statement by the education department is seen by the par-ents before it is finalized. The annual review is required to ensure that targets and needs have not changed.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.