Knowing the names and uses of equip-ment is as important as knowing where to find them in a kitchen.
The small equipment that we use in the kitchen for food are known as minor equipment.
· dry measuring cups for solid ingredients liquid measuring cup with space at top
· spatula to level off dry ingredients
· paring knife cleans/pares fruits and vegetables utility knife for all cutting purposes
· butcher knife-heavy duty for large cuts of meat bread knife has serrated edge
· chef ’s knife/French knife for slice, dice, chop a triangle blade slicing knife has a long narrow blade used for meat and cabbage carving knife for meat
· peeler for peeling fruits and vegeta-bles
· kitchen shears
· cutting board
· mixing tools
· baking tools
· cooking tools
· kitchen aids
· cleaning equipment
The minor kitchen equipment is used mostly for prepreparation of foods.
The major kitchen equipment that are used for everyday cooking would include a food processor (mixee cum grinder/blender), refriger-ator, microwave oven and even a small non-commercial oven cum toaster and grill.
These major equipment are very essential for daily use.
The refrigerator is used for stor-ing food and keeping it fresh free from spoilage. These foods include vegetables, fruits, eggs, milk and milk products and leftover cooked food also. The freezer helps to store and preserve foods, espe-cially raw food items like non-vegetar-ian foods such as fish, meat and chicken and their products at a much lower tem-perature (at zero degrees centigrade and below).