Points to Remember:
• The different type of network are LAN, MAN, WAN, PAN, CAN and WLAN
• Two things required for TCP/IP needed are
a) Message to transmit
b) Means to reliably transmit the message
• Each computer on net is called as host
• Examples of internet are
2) instant Messaging
3) Social Networking
4) Online Shopping
• Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers ( ICANN) administers the domain registration to avoid name already registered.
• W3C stands for world wide web consortium. It sets standards for the www to facilitate better communication ability. It was established in 1994 by the creator of www, Tim Berners Lee.
• The internet is a globally connected network system that uses TCP/IP ( Transmission Control Protocol / Internet Protocol ) to transmit data via various types of media
• Hotspots are sites that offer internet access over wireless local network.( WLAN) by way of a router that then connects to an internet service provider.
• Internet telephony (e.g. Skype) is another common communications service made possible by the creation of the Internet. VoIP stands for Voice-over-Internet Protocol
• Video conferencing enables direct face-to-face communication across networks via web cameras, microphones, and other communication tools. Video conferencing can enable individuals in distant locations to participate in meetings on short notice, with time and money savings.
• E–commerce (electronic commerce or EC) is the buying and selling of goods and services, or the transmitting of funds or data, over an electronic network, primarily the Internet.
• Social networking is the use of internet-based social media programs to make connections with friends, family, classmates, customers and clients.
• Voicemail is a system of sending messages over the phone. Calls are answered by a machine which connects you to the person you want to leave a message for, and they canlisten to their messages later.
• Email is short for 'electronic mail' similar to a letter, it is sent via the internet to a recipient
• An internet browser, also known as a web browser, is a software program that you can use to access the internet and view web pages on your computer.
• A website is a collection of webpages. For example if there is a company that owns sricompany.com then this website will have several Webpages like Home, About Us, Contact Us, Testimonials, Products, Services, FAQ’s, and others. All of these pages together make up a Website.
• Dongle refers to removable component used for enabling software protection. E.g. USB, WiFi
• A webpage is a page of a Website. A web page can be accessed by a URL in a browser and that page can be copied and or send to a friend for review whereas websites are collections of multiple page that must be navigated to view other content.
• E-commerce is the activity of buying or selling of products on online services or over the Internet.
• Electronic governance or e-governance is the application of information and communication technology (ICT) for delivering government services.