Home visiting is the back bone of all MCH services.
· To carry out simple nursing care in home.
· For the prevention of disease
· promotion of health of the members of the family.
· To investigate the service of an infection disease
· To make use of the inter – referral system
· Based on the needs of the people.
· Planned prior to the visit
· Collect the background information regarding the family and community
(family size, occupation, income religion, resources, customs and culture).
· Identify the health problems of the family.
· Use safe technical skills and nursing procedures.
· In health teaching be sure of what you teach to the family.
· Be kind and courteous to the family will help to gain the confidence.
The purpose of planning is to achieve definite objectives within a specified time and with the available resources.
· First make survey and prepare a map of the area with following details
a. Topography(Area Map)
b. Location of the village
· Prepare the family folders and individual cards with adequate information.
· Identify the families or individuals in need of home visiting e.g. Antenatal, postnatal, toddlers, infants, sick and those who are not in a position to reach the health care settings.
· Treat minor illness with the help of community bag. Refer if necessary.
· Follow up to find out how far the instructions given were followed.
· Evaluation - Evaluate what has been achieved.
Even if the mother is attending the antenatal clinic regularly, it is suggested that she must visited at least one home visit by the health care provider (ANM/VHN) because the AN mother will be relaxed at home and also we can evaluate social and environmental conditions at home.