Social Science : Economics
EMPLOYMENT IN INDIA AND TAMILNADU
IV. Give Short Answers
1. What is labour force of the economy?
Labour force of the economy is the number of people in the country who work and also capable of working.
2. Why are children and old age (above 60 years) are not considered for computation of workforce?
• Persons who are less than 15 years are considered as children.
• Persons who have crossed 60 years of age are excluded as they are not physically fit to undertake productive occupation.
3. What are the three sectors of an economy?
Primary sector :-
• Agriculture, forestry, animal husbandry, poultry, dairy farming, fishing etc.
Secondary sector :-
• Manfacturing, small and large-scale industries and constructional activities.
Tertiary sector :-
• Transport, insurance, banking, trade, communication, real estate, government and non-government services.
4. Agriculture, despite a sharp decline in Gross Domestic Product, continues to be the largest employer in Tamil Nadu.
The non-agriculture sectors have not generated enough employment to affect a shift of labour force.