General Qualification of the Secretaries:
Since secretaries may be required to perform a wide range of functions, they should possess necessary qualification to discharge their duties properly which include:
1. Sound General Education: Every secretary should have a sound general education. A university degree is considered as a desirable academic qualification and a High school certificate is the minimum education required.
2. Proficiency in Language: To be a successful secretary he should have good communication skill. He should have good command over English language and should possess sufficient skills in writing business letters, drafting reports, preparing notes, agenda, minutes of the meetings, etc.,
3. Wide General Knowledge: A secretary must have general knowledge to handle the emergency situation without delay. It also helps him to understand the instruction given by his employer without delay.
4. Knowledge of Office Organization and Methods: Secretary is considered as an administrative head of secretarial department. He should know to organize the activities of his department and also be familiar with the procedures to carry out the activities.
5. Knowledge of General Procedure of Meetings: As he has to make arrangements for meetings, help the chairman in conducting meetings and record the proceedings of meeting. The secretary must know the general procedure to be followed in connection with meetings.
6. Personality: He must secure willing and harmonious co-operation with in the office staff for the smooth and efficient function of office work. A secretary must possess good personality to command and to gain the confidence from the subordinates.