1) The first life on earth originated
a) in air
b) on land
c) in water
d) on mountain
2) Who published the book “Origin of species by Natural Selection” in 1859?
a) Charles Darwin
d) Hugo de Vries
3) Which of the following was the contribution of Hugo de Vries?
a) Theory of mutation
b) Theory of natural Selection
c) Theory of inheritance of acquired characters
d) Germplasm theory
4) The wings of birds and butterflies is an example of
a) Adaptive radiation
b) convergent evolution
c) divergent evolution
5) The phenomenon of “ Industrial Melanism” demonstrates
a) Natural selection
b) induced mutation
c) reproductive isolation
d) geographical isolation
6) Darwin’s finches are an excellent example of
a) connecting links
b) seasonal migration
c) adaptive radiation
7) Who proposed the Germplasm theory?
b) August Weismann
d) Alfred Wallace
8) The age of fossils can be determined by
a) electron microscope
b) weighing the fossils
c) carbon dating
d) analysis of bones
9) Fossils are generally found in
a) igneous rocks
b) metamorphic rocks
c) volcanic rocks
d) sedimentary rocks
10) Evolutionary history of an organism is called
11) The golden age of reptiles was
a) Mesozoic era
b) Cenozoic era
c) Paleozoic era
d) Proterozoic era
12) Which period was called “Age of fishes”?
13) Modern man belongs to which period?
14) The Neanderthal man had the brain capacity of
a) 650 – 800cc
15) List out the major gases seems to be found in the primitive earth.
16) Explain the three major categories in which fossilization occur?
17) Differentiate between divergent evolution and convergent evolution with one example for each.
18) How does Hardy-Weinberg’s expression (p2+2pq+q2=1) explain that genetic equilibrium is maintained in a population? List any four factors that can disturb the genetic equilibrium.
19) Explain how mutations, natural selection and genetic drift affect Hardy Weinberg equilibrium.
20) How did Darwin explain fitness of organisms?
21) Mention the main objections to Darwinism.
22) Taking the example of Peppered moth, explain the action of natural selection. What do you call the above phenomenon?
23) Darwin's finches and Australian marsupials are suitable examples of adaptive radiation – Justify the statement.
24) Who disproved Lamarck’s Theory of acquired characters? How?
25) How does Mutation theory of De Vries differ from Lamarck and Darwin’s view in the origin of new species.
26) Explain stabilizing, directional and disruptive selection with examples.
27) Rearrange the descent in human evolution
Austrolopithecus → Homo erectus → Homo sapiens → Ramapithecus → Homo habilis.
28) Differentiate between the eating habit and brain size of Australopithecus and Ramapithecus.
29) How does Neanderthal man differ from the modern man in appearance?
30) Mention any three similarities found common in Neanderthal man and Homo sapiens.
31) Define isolating mechanism and explain its types with suitable examples.
32) Define speciation according to A.E. Emerson and explain its types giving suitable examples.
33) Give an account on the major causes for the extinction of a particular species on earth.
34) Explain the three level of impact of extinction of species.
35) According to Darwin, the organic evolution is due to [AIPMT-2013]3)
a) Intraspecific competition
b) Interspecific competition
c) Competition within closely related species.
d) Reduced feeding efficiency in one species due to the presence of interfering species.
36) A population will not exist in Hardly-Weiberg equilibrium if [AIPMT-2015]
a) Individuals mate selectively
b) There are no mutations
c) There is no migration
d) The population is large
Copyright © 2018-2021 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. (BS) Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.