Disorder of the Breast
Disorder of breasts
Breasts are usually affected by three conditions. They are infections, benign and malignant tumours.
A. Fibrocystic breast disease
It is a common benign breast disease in women of all ages. It can occur as early as puberty when oestrogen level rises to adult levels, but is found most commonly in women between the age of 20 and 45 years.
· Freely movable, well - delineated breast lamp on palpation
· Visible lamp on the surface of breast
· Often occur on upper outer quadrant of the breast
· Consistency- firm and hard to soft and flexible
· Painful (may) and tender
· Round and fluid filled cyst.
· Careful palpation
· Avoidance of substances contain caffene, theophylline and theobromine
· Avoid smoking
· Aspiration of cysts under local anesthesia
Fibro adenoma are tumors consisting of both fibrotic and glandular components that occur in response to estrogen stimulation. They tend to occure in young women and are rerely seen after menoupuse and are non malignant.
The tumors may increase in size during adolescence, pregnancy and lactation or when a woman takes an oestrogen source such as oral contraceptive.
· No pain (pain less) and freely movable
· Round and well delineated tumors
· Feel firmer and more rubbery
· Occasionally calcify and feel extremely hard
· Not cause skin retraction
The carcinoma of the reast commonly occurs from 30 to 60 years of age.
· Lump and hard fixed mass
· Pain in the breast
· Blood stained discharge (late stage)
· Retracted nipple ,of cancer has spread to the lymph
· Orange like colour of the skin
Tumor less than 2 cm in diameter
Nodes, if palpable, not felt to contain metastases
Without distant metastases
Tumor less than 5 cm in diameter
Modes, if palpable, not fixed
Tumor less than 5 cm or
Tumor of any size with invasion of skin or attached to chest wall
Nodes in supra clavicular area with out distant metastases
With distant metastases
Management - Surgery
· Hormonal therapy
· Cytotoxic agent
The woman should be thought to do self examination of breast to detect, report and be diagnosed early