· Co-ordinate measuring machines find applications in automobile, machine tool, electronics, space and many other large companies.
· These machines are best suited for the test and inspection of test equipment, gauges and tools.
· For aircraft and space vehicles, hundred percent inspections is carried out by using CMM.
· CMM can be used for determining dimensional accuracy of the components.
· These are ideal for determination of shape and position, maximum metal condition, linkage of results etc. which cannot do in conventional machines.
· CMM can also be used for sorting tasks to achieve optimum pairing of components within tolerance limits.
· CMMs are also best for ensuring economic viability of NC machines by reducing their downtime for inspection results. They also help in reducing cost, rework cost at the appropriate time with a suitable CMM.
· The inspection rate is increased.
· Accuracy is more.
· Operators error can be minimized.
· Skill requirements of the operator is reduced.
· Reduced inspection fixturing and maintenance cost.
· Reduction in calculating and recording time.
· Reduction in set up time.
· No need of separate go / no go gauges for each feature.
· Reduction of scrap and good part rejection.
· Reduction in off line analysis time.
· Simplification of inspection procedures, possibility of reduction of total inspection time through use of statistical and data analysis techniques.
· The lable and probe may not be in perfect alignment.
· The probe may have run out.
· The probe moving in Z-axis may have some perpendicular errors.
· Probe while moving in X and Y direction may not be square to each other.
· There may be errors in digital system.