V. Answer in short
1. Define food security according to FAO.
"Food security exists when all people, at all times, have physical, social and economic access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food which meets their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life."
2. What are the basic three components of of food and nutrition security?
There are three basic components.
i. Availability of food is physical availability of food stocks in desired quantities, which is a function of domestic production, changes in stocks and imports.
ii. Access to food is primarily a matter of purchasing power and is therefore closely linked with the capabilities and employment opportunities to earn.
iii. Absorption of food is the ability to biologically utilise the food consumed.
3. What is the role of FCI in Green Revolution?
• Minimum Support Price was announced for the grains at the beginning of the season.
• The State procured the harvested grains through the Food Corporation of India.
• The FCI had built huge storage godowns and buffer stocks of food grains were stored during the harvest season to be distributed all through the year.
• The farmers will get an assured price by selling their produce to the FCI.
4. What are the effects of Green Revolution?
• The area of food grains cultivation has increased.
• India has attained self sufficiency in food grain production through HYV programme.
• The food situation has steadily improved oyer a period of 65 years.
• The increase in food grain production led to technological inventions in the dairy, poultry and fisheries sectors.
• It resulted in eightfold increase in milk production and 40 fold increase in fish production.
5. Write some name of the nutrition programmes in Tamil Nadu.
• Puratchi Thalaivar M.G.R. Nutrition Meal Programme
• National Programme of Nutritional Support to Primary Education
• General ICDS Projects and Worid Bank Assisted Integrated Child Development Services
• Pradhan Manthri Gramodaya Yojana Scheme
• Tamil Nadu Integrated Nutrition Programme
• Mid-Day Meal Programme