C. Match the phrases with their meanings.
Phrase: Phrases are groups of two or more words that work together to perform a single grammatical function in a sentence. Phrases do not contain a subject or a predicate.
drew level with : ran very quickly in panic
whoop with glee : to leave a place quickly
jammed on the brakes : as if one’s life depends on it
clung for dear life : tried to stop the motion immediately
charged up the road : rose to an equal level
beat a hasty retreat : shout with enthusiasm and happiness
drew level with : rose to an equal level
whoop with glee : shout with enthusiasm and happiness
jammed on the brakes : tried to stop the motion immediately
clung for dear life : as if one's life depends on it
charged up the road : ran very quickly in panic
beat a hasty retreat : to leave a place quickly
D. Refer to a dictionary and find out the meaning of the words given below.
beam – to smile broadly
smile – to show pleasure by drawing up the corners of the lips.
guffaw – to laugh loudly.
laugh – to make sounds with the voice in showing amusement or happiness.
giggle – to make a slight laugh in a nervous or silly manner.
E. Read the sentences given below. Fill in the blanks with the correct form of the appropriate laughter words from the exercise above.
1. Kavitha s face beamed with joy as she arrived India.
2. The show was enjoyed by all the audience and they guffawed out loudly all the while.
3. When tickle ishanth, he always makes a loud laugh.
4. Bharani didn’t mean any harm, he just did it for a giggle.
5. Things will calm down, you just keep smiling.
F. Pick the word from the text that is similar to the words or phrases given below.
1. threatening and extremely angry scowl.
2. a heavy blow or hit thump.
3. happening gently and slowly gradually.
4. any building of a past age, regarded as a historically important place monument.
5. bad luck unfortunate (misfortune)
G. Match each word with its antonyms.
1. shady misery
2. bored calm
3. glee interested
4. panic slow
5. hasty sunny
1. shady × sunny
2. bored × interested
3. glee × misery
4. panic × calm
5. hasty × slow
Make a sentence of your own for any five words from the above.
1. We stood under the shady tree.
2. They felt bored as the film was uninteresting.
3. The announcement of a holiday filled them with glee.
4. The explosion in the street filled us with panic.
You have done a hasty job.