ü System programs provide a convenient environment for program development and execution.
ü They can be divided into several categories:
1. File management: These programs create, delete, copy, rename, print, dump, list and generally manipulate files and directories.
2. Status information: The status such as date, time, amount of available memory or diskspace, number of users or similar status information.
3. File modification: Several text editors may be available to create and modify the content of files stored on disk or tape.
4. Programming-language support: Compilers, assemblers, and interpreters for common programming languages are often provided to the user with the operating system.
5. Program loading and execution: The system may provide absolute loaders, relocatable loaders, linkage editors, and overlay loaders.
6. Communications: These programs provide the mechanism for creating virtual connections among processes, users, and different computer systems. (email, FTP, Remote log in)
7. Application programs: Programs that are useful to solve common problems, or to perform common operations.
Eg. Web browsers, database systems.
Copyright © 2018-2021 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. (BS) Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.