![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Solar cooking is a very simple technique that makes use of sunlight or solar energy which is a non-conventional source of energy.
Solar cooker consists of a well insulated box which is painted black on the inside and covered with one or more transparent covers.
The purpose of these transparent covers is to trap heat inside the solar cooker. These covers allow the radiation from the sun to come inside the box but do not allow the heat from the hot black absorbing plate to come out of the box. Because of this, temperature upto 140 o C can be obtained which is adequate for cooking.
1. Simple technique - requires no special skill.
2. Cost effective as natural sunlight is the form of energy.
3. Original flavour of food is retained.
4. There is no danger of scorching or burning.
5. Loss of nutrients is minimum as only little amounts of water is used in cooking.
1. Special equipment is needed.
2. Slow cooking process.
3. Cannot be used in the absence of sunlight - rainy season, late evening and night.
Solar cooker:1.Solar plane mirror 2.Cooking container3.Glass sheet 4. Cover 5. Insulation material glass 6.Outer box 7. Handle 8.Mirror support 9.Hinged adjuster and guide
Source: Srilakshmi B.(2003) Food Science , New Age
International (P) Publishers Limited.Chennai.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.