![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Serous Otitis Media
Inflammation of the middle ear. Serous (catarnal) otitis media is a condition in which serum is present in the middle ear and interferes with hearing.
They are two main types.
1. Acute sapurative otitis media
2. Chronic sapurative otitis media.
Signs and symptoms :
1. It may last for a few days or to years.
2. The patient may complain of a sense of fullness or blockage in the ear.
3. Hearing loss
4. A low pinched tinnitus
5. A severe ear ache
6. Loss of appetite and Insomnia
Raise of body temperature
1. Gentle aspirate the fluid and clean the ear
2. Antipyretics, Antibiotics and analgesics are prescribed with multivitamin tables.
3. Mild Sedatives and ear drops are administered.
Otosclerousis is a progressive condition in which the normal bone of the inner ear is replaced by abnormal osseous tissue leads to progressive deafness.
The cause of otosclerosis is not known as predisposing factors and are
2. Vitamin deficiency
3. Calcium and metabolic disorders
4. In some women pregnancy may be precipitating factor
Signs and symptoms:
2. Trinities and depression
3. Loss of appetite
4. Patient hears better in noisy place
5. Tympanic membrane will be bluish in colour
The Treatment for hearing loss due to otosclerosis is stapedectomy
Surgery is for removing the stapes and replacing it with some types of prosthesis.
Nursing management :
Provide bed rest and reduce anxiety.
Administer, Analgesics, antibiotics, ant emetics and multivitamin tables as prescribed
Instruct the patient to keep the operated ear away from the bed side to prevent dislodgement.
Educate the patient not to blow the nose and prevent cold and cough, not to swimming and shampoo bath is avoided.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.