Role of nutrition in maintaining health
Nutrition is a basic element of health. Nutrition influence the health from birth to death.
· Good nutrition is essential for attainment of normal growth and development during fetal life and childhood. Physical growth, intellectual development, learning and behavior are affected by malnutrition.
· Adequate nutrition is needed for adult life maintenance for optimum health and efficiency.
· Elder people needs special nutrition due to their physiological and chronological changes. Pregnant and lactating mothers require more proteins and nutrients to prevent abortion, growth retardation and low birth weight babies and provide adequate breast feeding for their babies.
· The most common deficiencies find in Indians are Protein energy malnutrition, blindness, goiter, anemia, beriberi, rickets etc. There is increased incidence of abortion, prematurity, still birth and low birth weight babies in malnourished mothers.
· Hence, good nutrition is essential to prevent nutritional deficiency diseases, promotion of health and treatment of deficiency diseases.
· A well balanced nutrition prevents infections like tuberculosis. Good nutrition enhances wound healing. Improves resistance of an individual towards infections.
· Malnutrition leads to increased death rate, infant mortality rate, still births and premature deliveries. Prematurity is the major cause of deaths.
· Over nutrition causes diseases like
Obesity, diabetes, hypertension, cardiovascular and renal diseases and causes death.