Role of milk and milk products in cookery
1. It contributes to the nutritive value of the diet, eg. milkshakes, plain milk, flavoured milk, cheese toast.
2. Milk adds taste and flavour to the product eg. payasam,tea, coffee.
3. It acts as a thickening agent along with starch eg. whitesauce or cream soups.
4. Milk is also used in desserts, eg. icecream, puddings
5. Curd or buttermilk is used as a leavening agent and to improve texture, eg. dhokla.
6. Curd is used as a marinating agent, eg. marinating chicken and meat.
7. Curd is used as a souring agent, eg. ravadosa, dry curdchillies.
8. Khoa is used as a binding agent, eg. carrot halwa.
9. Cheese is used as garnishing agent.
10. Salted butter milk is used for quenching thirst.