Preparation of a North Indian Cuisine
Aim: To know about the preparation of a recipe from North Indian cuisine.
Equipment needed: Pressure pan, kadai, spoons, cups, mixer/blender.
· Foods of North Indian cuisine are wholesome and very rich in nutrients and tasty.
· Milk and milk products like paneer, curd, cream are used abundantly.
· Spices, masala powders and curry powders are used.
· Channa masala or chole masala is a classic Indian vegetarian dish prepared with Kabul channa.
Channa/kondaikadalai : 1 cup
Onion : 2 medium
Tomato (Big ones) : 2 large
Green chilli : 1
Ginger : 1 inch piece
Garlic : 3 pods
Salt : as required
Turmeric powder : ¼ tsp
Chilli powder : 1 tsp
Coriander powder : 2 tsp
Channa masala powder : 2 tsp
Oil : 2 tsp
Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
Bay leaf : 1
· Soak channa overnight and pressure cook channa with a little salt for 4-5 whistles and cooked channa should be soft.
· Grind ginger, garlic, green chilli and onion to a fine paste. Keep it aside.
· Puree tomatoes in a blender and keep it aside.
· Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and bay leaf.
· Add the ground onion paste and the spice powder and saute till it turns to golden brown, stirring continuously.
· Add the cooked channa with 4 cups of water and until everything gets blended with the masala.
· Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with poori or chappathi.
The above recipe can be prepared and sold by the students in the school campus.
Results and Discussion: