![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Preparation of Tomato and Lime Pickles
Aim: To formulate recipes for the prepa-ration of tomato and lime pickles.
Equipment needed: Sauce pan, jars, weighing scale, measuring cups, vessels, spoons and ladles.
Importance: The process of preserva-tion of food in common salt or in vin-egar is called pickling. Spices and edi-ble oil are added to make the product. Pickles are good appetizers and add to the palatability of the meal. Pickles aid digestion by stimulating the flow of gas-tric juice. Different kinds of pickles are made in several Indian homes. Some of the Indian pickles are mango, lime, tomato, onion, mixed vegetables such as potato, turnip, drumstick, beans and cauliflower.
Tomato : 500g
Garlic : 50g
Red chillies : 20g
Mustard : 10g
Asafoetida powder : 10g
Fenugreek : 10g
Cumin seeds : 10g
Turmeric powder : Little
Tamarind : 50g
Gingelly oil : 250ml
Salt : Required amount
· Wash tomatoes and blanch in water. Cool and grind into a smooth paste in a mixie.
· Dry roast chillies, asafoetida, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds and ¾th quan-tity of mustard and powder them.
· Soak tamarind in little quantity of water and take the clean pulp.
· Keep frying pan over the fire, add the gingelly oil and the remaining portion of mustard seeds. When it starts sput-tering, add the clean garlic and fry.
· Add the tamarind pulp, chilli powder, turmeric powder, powdered spices and salt one by one and mix well.
· Remove from fire cool and store in sterilized bottles.
Lime : 500g
Red chillies : 100g
Mustard : 1 tsp
Fenugreek : 1 tsp
Asafoetida : ½ tsp
Gingelly oil : 250ml
Salt : To taste
· Wash lemon and dry with a clean towel.
· Cut into pieces on a clean board to a desired size.
· Add salt and leave it in the sun light in a porcelain pot tied with the muslin cloth.
· Grind dry roasted red chillies, fen-ugreek seeds, mustard seeds into a coarse powder.
· Add this powder to the salted and sun-dried lime.
· Heat the oil and add little mustard seeds till it sputter.
· Add the seasoned oil on the salted and sun dried lime.
· Keep in sunlight for few more days till ready for consumption.
· Store it in sterilized air tight container.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.