Preparation of Special Fabrics for Sewing
Knits are an important part of every wardrobe because they are comfortable to wear and easy to care. Because of their elasticity, knit garments do not require a lot of fitting and they shed wrinkles well. Most knits do not ravel, making them quick and easy to sew. Knits are versatile and can be seen in everything from the most casual wear to the formal clothing attire. They come in a variety of fabrics that vary in textures, elasticity, fibre content, weight and design.
Points to be considered before preparing knitted fabric :
· Washable knits tend to shrink more often and to a greater degree than woven fabric.
· Always purchase extra yardage to allow for shrinkage. For best results wash and dry the fabric before cutting.
· Washing also helps to relax the fabric and remove the fabric sizing.
· Excess sizing can cause skipped machine stitches, pre shrink firm, interfacing, lining and garment.
· Generally, rib knit net should not be prewashed. Washing softens it and makes it difficult to cut accurately.