![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Oxyuriasis (Thread Worms), Pin Worm
Enterovirbius vermicularis is commonly found in children. It is transmitted because of insanitary living conditions in the school, hostels, institutions, and families. It is transmitted through soil, finger, flies, and linen.
Signs and symptoms:
1. Asymptomatic children may not have any complaints.
2. General symptoms are found, such as lack of appetite, loss of weight, grinding of teeth, and abdominal pain.
3. Pruritis at anal region and at valva is caused by the crawling of the gravid female worms, which come out of the anus. Scratching produces secondary infection.
4. Nocturnal enuresis may occur. Rarely, it may cause appendicitis.
Investigation: Stool examination for thread worm or ova. Treatment:
1. Peprarizine citrate may be prescribed.
2. It is advisable to treat whole family at a time.
3. Mebendazole is prescribed and administered twice a day.
1. Children's nails should be cut short and scrubbed with the soft brush.
2. The use of long pyjama helps to prevent auto infestation.
3. Antipruritic cream can be used to prevent itching.
Hygienic eating habits should be practiced.
Children who cannot be cared at home or in the health centre or in the O.P.D., may be admitted to the hospital for treatment. Hospitalisation is the disruption of the lifestyle of children and their families.
The children's reactions to the hospitalisation and coping strength depend on the age, developmental stage, body image, fear, reason for hospitalisation, and the previous experience about hospitalisation.
The change from home to hospital environment creates stress. The difference in hospital and home disturbs the child and adds to the stress, for example, environment, mealtime, toileting, feeding, bath time, and recreation.
By understanding these factors, the nurse can explore the child's reaction, describe nursing care to provide safety, promote sleep and rest, manage sensory deprivation, relieve pain, give medications, and assist in other procedures.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.