Social Science : History
EARLY TAMIL SOCIETY AND CULTURE
1. The name of the script used in the sangam age
c) Tamil- Brahmi
Answer : (c) Tamil- Brahmi
2. The Sri Lankan chronicle composed in the Pali Language mentioning about merchants and horse traders from Tamil Nadu
a) Deepa vamsa
Answer : (c) Mahavamsa
3. The notable chola king credited with bringing forest lands under the plough and developing irrigational facilities
b) Rajarajan I
d) Rajendran I
Answer : (a) Karikalan
4. Inscription that mentions the Cheras
Answer : (a) Pugalur
5. (i) Coins as a medium of exchange were introduced for the first time in the Mesolithic Age.
(ii) Prakrit was the language used by the common people in Northern India during the Mauryan period.
(iii) Vienna Papyrus, a Roman document, mentions trade related to Muziri.
(iv) The concept of Thinai is presented in the Tamil grammar work of Pathupaatu.
a) (i) is correct.
b) (ii) is correct.
c) (i) and (ii) are correct
d) (iii) and (iv) are correct
Answer : c) (i) and (ii)are correct
6. (i) Pathitrupathu speaks about the Pandya kings and their territory.
(ii) The Akanaanuru describes the trading activities at Kaveripoompattinam.
(iii) The Chola Emblem was the tiger and they issued square copper coins with images of a tiger.
(iv) Neythal is a sandy desert region.
a) (i) is correct.
b) (ii) and (iii) are correct.
c) (iii) is correct
d) (iv) is correct.
Answer : (c) (iii) is correct
1. Inscriptions are documents scripted on stones, copper plates, coins and rings.
2. Archaeological Excavation refers to systematically digging a site to recover material evidence for exploring societies of the past.
3. Arthasastra the classic work on economy and statecraft authored by kautilya during the Mauryan period.
4. Thinai is a poetic theme which means a class or category and refers to a habitat or eco-zone with specific physiographical characteristics.
5. Yavanar referred to the Westerners, including the Greeks, Romans and West Asian people.
1. a) Evidence of iron smelting has been found in Kodumanal and Guttur.
b) Periplus of Erythren sea mentions about the pepper trade with India.
c) Punch marked coins are the earliest coins used in India mostly made of gold.
d) The Sangam Age has its roots in the Bronze Age.
Answer : (a) Evidence of iron smelting has been found in kodumanal and Guttur.
2. a) The Cheras ruled over kaveri delta and their capital was Uraiyur.
b) The Maangulam Tamil - Brahmi inscriptions mention the king karikalan.
c) The terms Vanikan and Nigama appear in Tamil-Brahmi inscriptions were different types of Merchants.
d) Salt merchants were called vanikars and they travelled in bullock carts along with their family.
Answer : (c) The terms Vanikan and Nigama appear in Tamil-Brahmi inscriptions were different types of merchants.
I - II
1. Epigraphy - a. a narrative text presenting the important historical events.
2. Chronicle - b. a Sangam Age port
3. Pastoralism - c. an ornament made in precious stone.
4. Cameo - d. the study of inscriptions.
5. Arikkamedu - e. nomadic people earning livelihood by rearing cattle.
1. Epigraphy : the study of inscriptions
2. Chronicle : a narrative text presenting the important historical events.
3. Pastoralism : nomadic people earning livelihood by rearing cattle.
4. Cameo : an ornament made in precious stone.
5. Arikkamedu : Sangam Age port