![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Offering and removing the Bed Pan
Bed patients usually need to use a bedpan about once or three times a day. The ward may be closed with a screen for this purpose as a routine. However if a patient make request for a bedpan at another time, you should meet the request with understanding and without delay.
1. Screen the bed.
2. Bring a covered bedpan to the beside and place it on the stool. The bed pan should be clear and dry. In cold weather, warm it first with hot water. Pad the seat of the bedpan, if the patient is very weak and emaciated.
3. Protect the bed with a rubber sheet if necessary.
4. Place the bedpan on the bedside for the patient.
5. Place your left hand beneath the lower back to aid the patient in raising the buttocks and place the bedpan in position without force. Adjust the bedpan comfortably for the patient. Cover and leave him alone unless he is too ill or weak
6. Get a toilet tray ready and bring it to the bedside contents of the tray are.
1. Let the patent wash himself if he is able to do so. Help him pouring water over the genitals, Remove the bedpan and give the patent water and soap for hand washing.
2. If the patient is helpless, use moistened rag pieces or cotton and the artery forceps and clean from front to back to prevent infection.
Turn him on his side while removing the bedpan (a second person may be needed to help)
3. Make the patient comfortable.
4. Cover the bedpan, take it to the toilet room.
5. Observe the contents.
a. Proper position reduces patient’s back strain.
b. Improper position of patient.
6. Empty the content and since the bed pan with cold water. Then clean it with the brush kept in soap solution the bed pan may be soaked in disinfectants. For one hour or sterilized if there are facilities for doing so.
7. Remove other articles from the bedside. Clean them and put them back in their proper place.
8. Wash your hands well.
Remove the screens, and leave the unit tidy. Record the time and observations.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.