CARE OF PATIENT WITH RETENTION OF URINE
Acute urinary retention is a medical emergency that requires prompt recognition and bladder drainage.
1. Instruct the patient to warm up before attempting to urinate
2. Avoid alcohol intake
3. Advise the patient to drink a cup of coffee or tea to create urinary urgency.
4. Sitting in a tub of warm water or warm shower may help him to urinate.
5. Make the patient to scheduled toileting position to pass urine.
6. Running water sound may increase the urgency. Take him to the bathroom and hear the sound of running water.
7. Use a catheter with a retention balloon to empty the bladder.