1. What are the differences between minerals and ores?
2. What are the various steps involved in extraction of pure metals from their ores?
3. What is the role of Limestone in the extraction of Iron from its oxide Fe2O3 ?
4. Which type of ores can be concentrated by froth floatation method? Give two examples for such ores.
5. Out of coke and CO, which is better reducing agent for the reduction of ZnO? Why?
6. Describe a method for refining nickel.
7. Explain zone refining process with an example using the Ellingham diagram given below.
8. (A) Predict the conditions under which
(i) Aluminium might be expected to reduce magnesia.
(ii) Magnesium could reduce alumina.
(B) Carbon monoxide is more effective reducing agent than carbon below 983K but, above this temperature, the reverse is true –Explain.
(C) it is possible to reduce Fe2 O3 by coke at a temperature around 1200K
9. Give the uses of zinc.
10. Explain the electrometallurgy of aluminium.
11. Explain the following terms with suitable examples.
(i) Gangue (ii) slag
12. Give the basic requirement for vapour phase refining.
13. Describe the role of the following in the process mentioned.
(i) Silica in the extraction of copper.
(ii) Cryolite in the extraction of aluminium.
(iii) Iodine in the refining of Zirconium.
(iv) Sodium cyanide in froth floatation.
14. Explain the principle of electrolytic refining with an example.
15. The selection of reducing agent depends on the thermodynamic factor: Explain with an example.
16. Give the limitations of Ellingham diagram.
17. Write a short note on electrochemical principles of metallurgy.
Copyright © 2018-2021 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. (BS) Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.