![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Mechanism of Drug Action
Two types of mechanisms
1. Non-receptor mediated
2. Receptor mediated
1. By physical action like osmosis, absorption.
2. By chemical action like antacids, metals.
3. Through enzymes like angiotensin converting enzyme inhibitor.
4. Through antibody production like vaccines.
5. Placebo which is a dummy medicine having no pharmacological activity like distilled water.
1. Affinity: Ability of the drug to get bound to the receptor.
2. Agonist: Capable of producing pharmacological action after binding to the receptor.
3. Antagonist: Capable of not producing pharmacological action after binding to the receptor.
Drug Potency: It is the quantity of a drug to produce a desired response. The lower the dose required for a given response, the more potent is the drug.
Drug Efficacy: It is the maximum effect of a drug.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.