![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Classification of Drugs
There following are a classification of drugs according to the action
1. ANALGESICS:- Drugs used to relieve pain.
2. ANAESTHETICS:- Drugs which causes loss of sensation.
3. ANTI -PYRETICS:- Drugs which reduce fever. e.g crocin
4. ANTHELMINTICS:- Drugs which destroy and expel worms.e.g mebandazole
5. ANTIDOTES:- Substance used to counteract effects of poison. eg large quantity of diluted alkali is given to neutralize acid poisoning.
6. ANTACIDS:- Substance that react with hydrochloric acid to decrease the activity of the gastric secretions e.g.gelucil
7. ANTI-EMETICS:- Drugs relieving or preventing nausea and vomiting.
8. ANTI-HISTAMINES:- The agents which used to prevent or relieve allergies.
9. ANTI-COAGULANTS:- Substance which inhibit or decrease blood – clotting process .
10. ANTI-CONVULSANTS:- Use to treat convulsion
11. ANTI- SEPTIC:- A Substance that inhibit the growth of bacteria.
12. DIURETICS:- Which increase the flow of urine.ex. lasix
13. EMOLLIENT:- Substance that soften, smooth and protect the skin.
14. EXPECTORANTS:- Increase the bronchial secretions and aid in the expulsion of the mucus.
15. HYPNOTICS:- Drugs that produce sleep.
16. HYPOGLYCAEMICS:- Drugs that lower the blood sugar level.
17. MUSCLE RELAXANTS:- Agents used for diminution of tension or functional activity of muscles.
18. NASAL DECONGESTANTS:-Drugs which used to relieve the nasal congestion.
19. NARCOTICS:- A drugs that reduce complete insensibility.
20. SEDATIVES:- Substance which lessen the body activity and induce sleep.
21. STIMULANTS:- Increase the functional activity of an organ or system.
22. TRANQUILLIZERS:- To calm nervous anxious, excited or disturbed helps client.
23. VASODILATOR:- It reduce blood pressure
24. EMETICS:- Drugs which produce vomiting
25. MYDRIATICS:- Drugs which dilate pupil of the eye
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.