VEHICLE STRUCTURE AND ENGINES
1. What is meant by self-propeller vehicle?
A vehicle producing power within itself for its propulsion is known as self-propeller vehicle.
2. What is built by Karl Benz? State its significance.
Karl Benz of Germany built a tricycle with an I.C. engine in 1885-86 which was working an Otto cycle. The speed of the engine was 10mph. and produced 8.H.P.
3. Mention the various products of scooters India Ltd.
Vijay deluxe, Vijay super, Lambretta cento 100 scooters are manufactured by them.
4. Give any four world’s leading automobiles manufacturers.
4. Mercedes Benz Ltd.
5. State the major types of automobiles according to the fuel used.
(a) Petrol vehicles
(b) Diesel vehicles
(c) Gas vehicles
(d) Electric vehicles
(e) Solar vehicles
6. Classify automobiles with respect to the drive of the vehicle.
1. Left hand drive
2. Right hand drive
7. How automobiles are streamlined based on transmission?
a) Conventional automobiles
b) Semi-automatic automobiles
c) Automatic automobiles.
8. Give any four names for the automobiles.
i) Motor vehicles
ii) Motor coach
iii) Motor wagon
iv) Horseless carriage
9. Mention the various parts of a car.
Generator, starter, steering, clutch, rear axle, differential, universal joints, wheel, tyres, body, lamp etc.
10. Define lift force.
Aerodynamic lift force is the vertical
component of the resultant force caused by the pressure distribution on the body.
11. Why are rings provided on piston?
They are used to maintain air tight sealing between piston and cylinder to prevent gas leakage.
12. What are the methods of cooling in IC engines?
1. Air cooling
2. Water cooling
13. What are the types of water cooling?
a. Thermosymphon system
b. Pump circulation system
14. What is meant by lubrication?
The process of reducing the friction between moving parts is known as lubrication.
15. What is EGR?
The form of excessive nitrogen oxides due to peak combustion temperature which is greater than 1950oc is known as EGR.