● To know about lines, line segments and rays.
● To know angles and its types.
● To know the usage of ruler and protractor.
● To identify parallel and intersecting lines.
● To identify pairs of complementary and supplementary
● To know collinear points and point of concurrency.
Geometry means the measurement of the earth. It
includes the study of the properties of shapes and its measures. In ancient days,
geometry was developed for the practical purpose of construction, surveying and
Nature evolves out of simple geometrical shapes
and patterns from tiny atoms to huge galaxies. The objects that you see in your
environment have an impact of geometrical ideas. An appealing appearance of houses
and buildings are made possible by geometrical thinking. Vehicles like cycle, car,
bus are designed using geometrical concepts. The toy that you play with, the tools
like pencil, scale and book that you use with, give rise to geometrical ideas and
In this chapter, we will learn about the geometrical
concepts such as lines, line segments, rays and angles.
MATHEMATICS ALIVE – NATURE’S GEOMETRIC MASTERPIECES