Inflammation of the stomach, and is often called as heartburn or indigestion. It can be divided into two types. They are
a. Acute gastritis.
b. Chronic gastritis.
1. Acute gastritis is caused by over eating or eating the wrong food. Other cause of acute gastritis are alcohol, aspirin, bile reflex or radiation therapy.
2. Chronic gastritis is caused by alcohol or ulcers (be sign or malignant) and H pylori
Signs and symptoms:
Acute gastritis : Chronic gastritis
1 Abdominal headache. : discomfort with Anorexia
2 Lassitude : Heartburn after eating.
3 Nausea : Belching.
4 Anorexia often accompanied by vomiting and hiccough. : Sour taste in the mouth.
5 Gastric mucous membrane becomes, edematous and hyperemic. : Nausea and vomiting may or may not be.
1. Endoscopy(Fiber optic)
2. Abdominal X-ray.
Treatment for acute gastritis is usually symptomatic.
1. Keep the patient NPO (nil per oral) until symptom subsides.
2. Then provide a bland diet, milk and antacid.
3. Treatment of chronic gastritis
4. Modification of diet
5. Promoting rest.
6. Reduce stress
7. Pharmacotherapy as prescribed.
8. Provide vitamin B12 supplement.
Reduce the patient anxiety by explain all procedures and treatment plan according to the patient condition and level of understanding.
1. Promote nutrition by advising the patient to reduce the intake of caffeinated beverages and discourage alcohol.
2. Relieve pain by providing prescribed medication on time or avoiding food and beverages which induces gastritis.
3. Maintain adequate fluid intake
4. Monitor vital signs every fourth hourly.
5. patient is educated regarding the foods to be avoided eg caffeine, nicotine, spicy, irritating or highly seasoned foods and alcohol.