![if !IE]> <![endif]>
FUNCTIONS OF PROTEIN
Proteins form a major part of total body structures and they participate in many activities in our body. The major functions of protein in our body can be listed as in the following.
1. Build and repair body tissues : Proteins form integral parts of most body structure such as skin, tendon, membranes, muscles, organs and bones. They support the growth and repair of body tissues.
2. Enzymes : (eg) Lipase helps to breakdown fat and sucrase breaks down sugar.
3. Hormones : Regulate body process.
4. Antibodies : Inactivate foreign invaders thus protecting the body against disease.
5. Fluid & electrolyte balance : Proteins help to maintain the volume and composition of body fluids.
6. Acid-base balance : Proteins help maintain the acid-base balance of the body fluids by acting as buffers.
7. Energy : Proteins provide fuel for the body' s energy needs [4 KCal/gm].
8. Storage : Proteins help to store iron and copper.
9. Homeostasis : Proteins maintain normal osmotic balance among body fluids.
10. Transport proteins (eg) Haemoglobin, lipoprotein : These type of proteins carry nutrients to the tissues. eg lipoprotein carry lipids, haemoglobin transports oxygen.11. Contribute to sensory & physical properties of food : Proteins impart colour , flavour, odour and texture to foods.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.