![if !IE]> <![endif]>
Common cold (coryza) refers to a syndrome related to inflammation of the cells of the respiratory epithelium by any group of respiratory viruses.
1. Rhinovirus (Accounts for 50% of common cold)
4. Pura myxoviruses and
5. corona viruses
Signs and symptoms:
Occurs within 72 hours after viral infection.
1. Sneezing, sore throat and headache.
2. Nasal discharge (initially clear, then yellow and thickened) and nasal congestion and obstruction.
No single specific treatment.
1. Symptomatic treatment includes
2. Aspirin as prescribed.
3. Steam inhalation. (refer racticals)
4. Decongestions, cough suppressions.
1. The most important is patient education about how to break the chain of infection.
2. Hand washing remains the most effective measure to prevent transmission of organisms.
3. Using disposable tissues and discarding them hygienically, covering the mouth when coughing, and avoiding crowds are important measures.
4. Avoid inhaling irritating substances: smoke, dust, chemicals, sprays etc.
5. Educate good nutrition, regular exercise, adequate sleep and positive coping strategies.
Copyright © 2018-2023 BrainKart.com; All Rights Reserved. Developed by Therithal info, Chennai.